Monday, January 14, 2013

Rocker Reconstruction!

My latest project was suuuuuper fun!!!  In fact, I may have found my calling.  I repurposed a pair of regular cargo pants:




.......into rocker pants!

John Corabi sporting his new rockin' pants

I ain't gonna lie--A lot of work went into these!

{The next part is the technical "mumbo jumbo" just for you detail-oriented peeps.  Instant gratification chicas can scroll down a bit to see the close-up after pics.} ;-)

{The nitty gritty}  Instead of using new fabric, I used two "used" pairs of pants I found at a thrift store for all the fabric elements I added to the existing pants.  Here's what was left of them after I was finished:

thrift store pant remains
The first thing I did was fit them to make them a tighter fitting pant instead of baggy cargos.  I took them in at the back seam and the inseam.  Then, I removed the waistband to give them more of a low-rise fit.

the waistband I removed
The next steps all consist of making different elements to add to the pants:  pockets, flaps, d-rings, snaps, patches, belt loops, and belt, not necessarily in that order.  






{Patches}  I printed John's logo onto fabric using my computer and made it into a patch with leather edges.  I also made patches using cross stencils I created and silver fabric spray-paint.  








{Pockets}  I created pockets using denim and leather {my fave materials!} and snaps.  There are a lot of pockets on these pants!






{D-rings}  I added D-rings and strips of denim.  I also cut and roughed up the denim to give it an edgier look.







{Belt loops and Belt}  I created new belt loops and sanded the fabric to give them some wear, then I made a belt and, again,  roughed up the fabric.



{Finishing Touches}

leather around the front zipper.
Hand-sewn stitches






{the final step}
Vahle Creative {hand-stamped by "Hardwear Merry"}

Lookin' good!








1 comment: